January 19, 1999
|Date: January 19, 1999
Presiding: Dr. Kathleen Pittman
Secretary: Dr. Manley Blackwell
I. Call to Order by Dr. Pittman
Present: Mrs. Beth Springer, Mrs. Nancy Kudlawiec, Dr. Patricia DeMay, Dr. Richard Schellhammer, Dr. Sheri Baggett-McMinn, Mr. Bill Lenning, Dr. Janis Beaird, Dr. R.T. Floyd, Dr. Mike Reekie, and Mr. Richard Thurn.
II. Approval of Minutes
Mrs. Kudlawiec moved for approval of the minutes from the October 28 meeting. Dr. Beaird seconded, and the motion carried.
III. Old Business
No old business was brought before the Senate.
IV. New Business
A. Suggestions for Improving U.W.A.
Dr. Pittman asked Senate members to suggest ways for improving our institution. The following ideas were mentioned.
1. Change Faculty Assessment Day to either Tuesday or Thursday for the benefit of those who have classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. This would help during quarters with Monday holidays.
2. Rotate the final exam schedule.
3. Purchase envelopes which can be used multiple times in campus mail.
4. Update the Internet Handbook.
5. Try to obtain new servers for the Internet.
6. Concerns were expressed regarding new policies involving the return of materials by faculty members to the L.R.C.
7. Explore the idea of a campus day-care facility for faculty and students.
8. Continue inquiring about upcoming policies regarding summer salaries.
9. Inquire about adjustments to the payroll schedule during the time of transition from quarters to semesters.
10. Print a faculty newsletter featuring such items as accomplishments of faculty members, decisions from the administration, reports from Board of Trustees meetings, etc.
11. Work to improve publicity for U.W.A.
12. Continue discussing the parking problems.
13. Post a web sight for the Faculty Senate. Include such items as the Constitution, minutes from meetings, and names of representatives.
14. Place e-mail addresses in the Campus Directory.
15. Place the Campus Directory on the Info-Net.
16. Improve outside lighting on campus.
B. Honorary Degrees
Dr. Pittman received a letter from President Roach requesting nominations for honorary degrees. Qualifications include exceptional service to our institution, area, or state. Nominations are due by February.
C. Board of Trustees Meeting
Dr. Floyd attended the December 7 Board of Trustees meeting and presented a report to the Senate. The following items were a part of that meeting.
1. A motion was approved by the Board of Trustees which allocated $100,000 (if needed) to study ways to best utilize the 3.2 million dollars appropriated for capital improvements in terms of energy conservation, heating, cooling, lighting, plumbing, etc.
2. Dr. Ervin Wood, Vice President for Student Affairs, presented a report on enrollment. Enrollment for Fall Quarter, 1998 was slightly higher than for Fall, 1997. Most of the increase was at the graduate level. The number of students from Florida is down this year.
3. Dr. David Taylor, Provost, presented a report concerning the viability of programs.
4. Dr. Ed Roach, President, presented a report on progress of the "Lap-Top University" idea.
With no further business to discuss, Mrs. Kudlawiec moved to adjourn, Dr. Beaird seconded, and the meeting was adjourned.
Senate information contact: email@example.com
Last revision: Tuesday, January 20, 2009